The first day of August 1993 marked the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Folkestone Boulogne route to regular traffic, a date fixed by the coming of the railway to the Kentish port. The line from London, via Reigate and Tonbridge, had arrived in June 1843 but as the nineteen arches of the Foord Viaduct were still under construction, a hastily built terminus was erected near the site of the present Folkestone Central station. It was not until six months later that the viaduct was completed and trains were able to use Folkestone station at its eastern end. The steeply graded railway down to the harbour was built almost immediately, dropping 111 feet for a distance of 1328 yards. Not only did it reach the harbour at right angles but in order to allow trains a level stretch in which to stop, the Railway Pier was built dividing the existing harbour into two, thus creating the Inner and Outer Harbours.